Friday, March 30, 2007

Terminology!

Amazing! In this Day And Age, it is still possible to come up with an expression whose proper name can't be easily located using the internet.

I remember in the pre-google days where the Internet was a marginal and sometimes deceptive information-gathering resource, where finding stuff required actual skill and practice. Want the track listing for an album by some non-cutting edge band? Brace yourself for the trip through a dozen shitty (often wildly inaccurate) Geocities fanpages. Need to find a reasonably good and large image of men storming Normandy? Better get a spare oxygen tank, cause you're going deep into the net.

But now it's all so simple: Wikipedia. Google. Dictionary.com. Rinse, repeat. Finding stuff is about as hard as typing its name or simply typing out the question you've got.

.. or so I thought. I have spent over twenty minutes trying to locate the name of the chain that can be used to connect an earring to a nose ring. I have nothing. Wikipedia gives me nothing. BMEZine brings nothing to the table. Google drops simple prepositions, so a "chain for nose to ear" search becomes a "chain nose ear" search (which incidentally, I've also been trying - to no avail). I can barely even find mentions of the existence of this thing, though I am sure I've seen in half a dozen non-obscure films.

I think I'm actually going to have to go ask someone in person at a piercing shop what it's called.

No comments: